Saturday, September 13, 2008

OzLife: The Hobby of Collecting Hobbies



hob·by
1 [hob-ee] Pronunciation Key –noun, plural -bies.
1.an activity or interest pursued for pleasure or relaxation and not as a main occupation: Her hobbies include stamp-collecting and woodcarving.

How many serious hobbies do you have? Right now off the top of my head I can think of 7 hobbies which I seriously follow. I personally think that's too many. The other day some friends and I were talking about how much it sucks to have a lot of hobbies. Sure it is cool to enjoy a lot of different activities but at what point does it become too much?

The whole point of a hobby based on the above definition is that it should be done for pleasure or relaxation. And yes, all of my hobbies when looked at individually provide me with pleasure and relaxation. However, when I look at all of my hobbies as a whole, it causes stress and anxiety.

For example, the other day, I was surfing YouTube and came across this video of some guys who were ballers at longboarding (see video @ bottom of post). This video made me realize that I was bored of my longboard and wanted a new one. However when presented with the prospect of spending $xxx.xx on a new longboard, I started stressing about how I could use this money to buy parts for my fixie (or get a new one), or buy a new lens for my camera, or buy some mods for my car, or .... And as I realized this, I got an email saying the USC Cycling club is doing a mountain bike ride on Sunday (today)! So time to get the mountain back up and running again.

And as I started researching a new longboard and thinking what I'd need to get for my mountain bike, I stumbled across a sick deal on a new fixie. Maybe I should get that instead?

Basically what I'm getting at is that having too many hobbies is a big problem especially when you don't have the financial means to pursue all of them. Also it depends on what kind of person you are. Personally I like to be good at the things I do because being shitty at something is no fun. If you have a lot of hobbies, you have no time to devote to them because you are always juggling between them.

So is this post going to make me drop any of my hobbies? No. In fact I bet this week I'll end up selling that deadstock pair of Nike Air Max 95's in my closet so that I can buy something for my fixie. But hell at least I'm aware of my hobby disorder.

Note
to the newcomers to the hobby game: When you start picking hobbies, try to limit it to 3.

That longboarding video (somewhat fruity as well):


A funny video I came across during that YouTube sesh:

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You should make investing a hobby, so you have a means to pay for your other hobbies. - Amit